Monday, January 3, 2011

Losing the weight....

There's no drug.
There's no milkshake. About 4 years ago I lost 40kg's on Optifast. It took me about a year.
Guess what. I gained it all back. I had made no lifestyle changes.

There's no surgery (even though I was told to).

No shortcuts.
I've tried Jenny Craig, I've tried Weight Watchers, I've tried Optisfast. This time it's different.

It's been simple.

Remove garbage 100% from my diet. (takeaway, fried foods, chocolate, biscuits, ice-cream etc)

Eat 5 meals per day. No exceptions. I don't allow myself to get so hungry that I eat anything in sight or eat anything for convenience.

I have dramatically reduced the amount of Carbs that I eat. I rarely eat any bread and I don't miss it at all.
If I feel like a "sandwich" type meal I'll wrap my filling in a wrap. There are some delicious, flavoured ones on the market, so look around. (Herb & Garlic etc)

I don't eat past 6.30pm at night. (not always possible, but I try to maintain this as much as I can.)

Get my body moving. For the first 4 months, all I did was walk. Every second day or so. 20 minutes at a time.
I slowly began increasing the amount of exercising I do. I've lengthened the distance and try to go every day.
A few weeks ago I noticed that my weight had started to plateau even though my diet hadn't changed.
I knew I needed to get my heart rate pumping, so I adding jogging up and down the stairs (It's hard!) and I lost 2kgs in the first week I tried that.
A couple of nights ago I jumped on the trampoline for the first time in YEARS. My goodness, that was a good workout. My heart was thumping, but it felt good. Afterwards I lay on the trampoline and just looked at the sky. It was a nice way to end the day.

Example of an average day.....

6.30am - Breakfast. Two eggs, scrambled with capsicum, onion, tomato etc. Sometimes a little bit of ham. Sometimes I wrap it. I try to limit the wraps to one per day.
OR something like a good breakfast cereal, topped with fresh fruit and trim milk.
Extra large cup of tea to down all of my medications.

10.30am - Morning Tea. Crackers and a light dip or tomato or just vegemite. I usually have another cup of Tea.

12.30pm - Lunch. Salad with whatever I can think of. Lettuce, tomato, capsicum, cucumber, etc etc. If I didn't have eggs for breakfast, I might add an egg to the salad. Likewise with the wrap. I like to add leftover bits of meat from the night before to the salad. Slices of lamb or slices of chicken etc. (all fat and skin trimmed)
If I'm low on salad ingredients, I try to keep a weight watchers meal in the freezer.

3.30pm. Afternoon Tea. Same as morning tea. I've been enjoying the diet yoghurts lately too. Some fruit if I haven't had any for breakfast or morning tea.

6.30pm. Dinner. A small portion of meat. (grilled or fried with spray on oil) I'll serve potatoes and pasta to everyone else. Sometimes I just skip it, otherwise I just give myself the tiniest amount. (1/4 cup?) Lots of vegetables - carrots, corn, peas, broccoli, zucchini etc etc. I try to keep fresh and frozen veges on hand at all times. I know green vegetables are a better choice than the others, to try to go heavy on those.

I drink plenty of water during the day. I need to for my medication, but it's habit now anyway.
I honestly don't feel "hungry" during the day. I know when it's time for me to eat (if that makes sense) as my body gets hungry at 10.30am, 12.30pm etc, but I have no desire to snack whatsoever.

2 Comments:

Blogger PJ said...

I found the 'Biggest Loser' and dance DVDs for the wii are great ways to get your heart rate up - and good fun too!

(love the mental image of you lying on the trampoline looking to the stars)

January 7, 2011 at 11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go the trampoline!

Have you tried Green Tea Rach? it's good! (most people disagree with me lol)

January 9, 2011 at 6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

View older posts up the top in the sidebar >>>>