Saturday, March 12, 2011

food again

Peta reminded me that my raw Spring Rolls had "Vermicelli" inside them.

I thought Vermicelli was a pasta/noodle type ingredient, but the ones I found are actually made from bean shoots?
I googled and found that that the most common form is RICE Vermicelli.

Now, I'm kinda nervous to try these LOL



What is your experience with Vermicelli?

Also, I'm a big fan of Avocado, but I do tend to overeat on the portion size (just because I hate seeing it going brown) and it is SO hard to get nice, ripe avocados at the moment. I found this new product yesterday at Woolies.
Not so cheap, but the equivalent to two avocados.
They had plain, seasoned and also a spicy type. (which is what I got)
I was able to squeeze a small amount on my crackers and back in the fridge it went!

Tastes okay, but not sure I'll get it again. (I like the chunkiness of real avo)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rach, Don't be nervous about the noodles, they have almost no flavour. I actually prefer them to rice noodles cos I find rice noodles a bit chewy. If you are going to start adding noodles to your rice paper rolls you might need to recheck calorie content and serving size, although they may be more filling and you won't want too eat as many, except when they are so fresh and yummy they are hard to resist! Keep up the great work!!! Miranda

March 12, 2011 at 9:57 PM  
Blogger DaniW said...

I love Vermicelli, it's a great filler and so easy to use. I've been avoiding it as not sure of the carb content but now that I know there's bean ones I'll be looking for them. We sometimes sprinkle them over salad or stir fry for something different too.

That avo stuff looks interesting. It does look expensive but when you consider the cost of 2 avos at certain times of the year, it's not really. Good to have in the fridge for when small boys demand it out of season!

March 14, 2011 at 7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andy has made a stir fry with those noodles before. Tasted great.........well the noodles were tasteless but yeah lol

Funny you should mention avocado's, I was super excited at cutting open a perfect one the other did i did a blog entry on it :hides: A friend of mine pops her used avo into a plastic bag and sucks the air out of it. I did this the last couple of days and it held up okay.

March 14, 2011 at 7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a bit of a trick to the vermicelli noodles but it does depend on the way you like them. I'm a fan of the beef vietnamese noodle (bun bo xao) salad which is the soft noodles in a bowl topped with salad etc - http://maggiesmeals.com/images/Bun-Bo-Xao.jpg

To get them like that soak in warm water for 20 min, drain and then pour boiling water over for 1 min and then refresh in cold water and drain. Easy!
The noodles are quite filling and if you use lots of salad and low fat protein it's a delicious meal that doesnt feel diet-y.
You must learn how to make that vietnamese salad sauce as well, it's so delicious!
- Joanne D :)

March 14, 2011 at 7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

View older posts up the top in the sidebar >>>>