Tuesday, January 10, 2012

How can I encourage my......{insert person here}

This is something I've been asked a fair bit lately.

"I'm concerned about my mother/brother/sister. (you get the picture)
How can I get them to lose weight like you?"

Plain and simple.

You can't.

It's sad, but true.

I resisted help every step of the way. I ignored it. I pretended I wasn't overweight.
If ANYONE had mentioned losing weight to me I would have been mortified. And shattered.

My doctor told me to lose weight from time to time. I didn't listen. I didn't care.

It was a decision that I had to come to on my own. You have to want it with every piece of you.
No one else can do it for you.

The best advice I could give you as an onlooker......don't be an enabler.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sara Pearcy said...

Perfectly true. Word for word.

...and when someone finally does make that decision to get fit, lose weight and live longer, don't try to sabotage it by asking them out to lunch/dinner all the time!

January 11, 2012 at 7:16 AM  
Blogger Danielle said...

That is so, so true. I can apply this to my Mum's smoking habit too. My Dad told me that nobody can make her quit except for her.

January 11, 2012 at 8:11 AM  
Blogger Michelle Jamieson said...

Congratulations Rach!
You've done an amazing job losing that weight.
It's outstanding.
I've set my own goal this year...to lose 20kgs in 2012!
I've even signed up for the Michelle Bridges 12 week body transformation.
I'm doing it...no excuses!!
More than excercise and food...it's a mindset!
I know I can do it!

January 11, 2012 at 8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

View older posts up the top in the sidebar >>>>